Laws of Software Development
1 min read

Laws of Software Development

Murphy's Law

If something can go wrong, it will.

Brook's Law

Adding manpower to a later software project makes it later.

Hofstadter's Law

It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law.

Conway's Law

Any piece of software reflects the organizational structure that produced it.

Postel's Law

Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept.

Pareto Principle

For many phenomena, 80% of consequences stem from 20% of the causes.

The Peter Principle

In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.

Linus's Law

Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.

Moore's Law

The processing speed of computers will double every two years!

Wirth's Law

Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.

Ninety-Ninety Rule

The first 90% of the code takes 10% of the time. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Knuth's Optimization Principle

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

Norvig's Law

Any technology that surpasses 50% penetration will never double agin.